Repair instead of replace
In the current context where the circular economy is gaining importance, the quest for methods to reduce our environmental footprint becomes essential. The circular economy is an economic model that prioritizes resource reuse and waste minimization, offering innovative solutions for sustainable development.
At Basco Doors and Windows, we have integrated the principles of the circular economy into our business model since its inception. We make it a point to restore doors and windows rather than replacing them entirely. This approach offers numerous benefits to our customers, whether in terms of cost, time, or reducing the environmental footprint.
Circular economy is an economic model aimed at minimizing waste and maximizing resource reuse. It stands apart from the traditional linear model of "extract, manufacture, use, and dispose." This approach is seen as a solution to overconsumption of natural resources.
At the core of the circular economy are reduction, reuse, recycling, and recovery. In practical terms, this involves:
- Designing products to be more durable, repairable, or dismantlable.
- Using renewable or recycled materials in manufacturing.
- Encouraging consumer reuse and recycling.
- Transforming waste into renewable resources, such as using food waste to produce energy.
Basco Windows and Doors is proud to announce its new partnership with Groupe Bellemare, which allows for the recycling of your old thermos to create environmentally friendly products.
At Groupe Bellemare, glass serves as an excellent raw material for producing new glass with a 30% energy savings. Mixed glass is processed for use as synthetic sand, free from crystalline silica, eliminating the risk of silicosis or lung infections. Recycled glass is then utilized for sandblasting, filtration, cementitious additives, filler material (insulating layers), mineral wool insulation (or fiberglass), non-slip flooring, decorative aggregates (mulch), as well as plastic products and adhesives.
We invite you to watch the following video to learn about the sustainability efforts and environmental protection measures undertaken by Groupe Bellemare: La Route du verre - YouTube
Contrary to common belief, a window can survive for up to a century with proper repairs. Restoration is possible for all components of a window, regardless of their age. Replacing the thermal panes is an option when the frame is in good condition, which is both cost-effective and eco-friendly compared to complete replacement.
By embracing restoration, Basco aligns itself with the principles of the circular economy by extending the use of resources and reducing waste.
Basco Windows and Doors prioritize repairs for several major reasons:
- Savings for our customers: Repair is generally more cost-effective than complete replacement, offering significant financial benefits.
- Shorter intervention time: Repairs are quicker, minimizing disruptions for the customer.
- Reduced environmental impact: Repair reduces the ecological footprint by conserving resources and limiting waste.
- Commitment to sustainability: Basco demonstrates its commitment to sustainable business practices, attracting customers who share this vision.
- Extension of product lifespan: Repair extends the lifespan of doors and windows, aligning with the principles of the circular economy.